THE RELATE INTERN PROGRAMME
Our Intern Programme is designed to equip participants with specialist skills in relationship counselling through specific training modules, mentoring, supervision and the opportunity to observe experienced counsellors at work. It is an Auckland-based or online training programme.
At the conclusion of the Internship Programme, there is opportunity for exceptional interns to join the Relate team.
Who will the supervising therapists be?
Primarily Steven Dromgool, director of Relate, however there will also be opportunity to observe sessions and participate in training with other experienced therapists
How long has the Relate Intern Programme been running?
Where is it?
Some of our interns attend the Auckland premises, however we have extended to program to participants outside Auckland. They complete observations, supervision and training online and see clients in their own location.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Qualified or nearly qualified therapists, wanting to become experts in relationship and couples counselling, who:
- Are at least in the final year of training with at least 100 hours of counselling experience
- Are passionate about helping people in relationships and demonstrate a strong commitment to developing as a clinician
- Are prepared to grow and learn both personally and professionally and willing to attend scheduled trainings and supervisions
- Want to be part of a team comprising both trainee and experienced therapists
- Are willing to participate in community activities, workshops and group programmes run by the Relate team
What is involved?
- Fortnightly group supervision and mentoring sessions – Thursdays 12.30-2pm on Zoom
- Practicum opportunity at Relate
- Co-counselling opportunities with senior Relate counsellors – sit in and observe sessions
- Attendance at the group training for Gottman Level 1 and PORT training
- Counselling of couples with guidance and supervision
- Involvement in community activities, workshops and group programmes run by the Relate team
What is required?
- Attendance at a minimum of 80% of supervision sessions
- A strong commitment to stretch and grow as a counsellor
- Attendance at the group training
- Participation in staff meetings and Relate-run community events
- Adherence to Relate’s Intern Agreement and ethical practice
- Completion of required readings and trainings
What does it cost?
The Internship programme fees for 2020, including all training and supervision are: $1000 (Fees may be paid in two instalments prior to the training beginning).
Do I get paid to see clients?
Interns’ fees follow an ascending scale, depending on the level of the intern. Initially all of the fees charged to clients for counselling by interns, go to Relate, however, once an intern has achieved 50 hours of clinical experience at Relate, some of the fee is remitted to the intern.
- Level 1 Intern – Individuals 1 hour $40, Couples 1.5 hour $60 – full fees remitted as training fee to Relate
- Level 2 Intern (50+ hours experience) – Individuals 1 hour $60, Couples 1.5 hour $90 – Marketing fees of $40 and $60 remitted to Relate respectively
- Level 3 Intern (100+ hours experience) – Individuals 1 hour $80, Couples 1.5 hour $120 – Marketing fees of $40 and $60 remitted to Relate respectively
- Level 4 Intern (150+ hours experience) – Individuals 1 hour $100, Couples 1.5 hour $150 – Marketing fees of $40 and $60 remitted to Relate respectively
What can you expect from being a Relate Intern?
You can expect to be welcomed into a friendly, professional and passionate team. You can expect to work with a range of clients and therapists that require you to stretch and grow both personally and professionally. You can expect to become part of a specialist team, learn about building a practice, self-care, professional development and more. You can expect our support for applying for professional membership. (Note under the new NZAC regulation group supervision can be used for 10 of the 20 required hours for supervision.) You can expect to be able to work with couples knowing that you are competent and well-trained and have the reward of seeing your work get great results.
To apply to be a Relate Intern please fill in the form below or contact the practice manager, Ms Corinne Loxton, on email@example.com
Include your name, phone number and the best times of day to receive a call. She will then give you a call to explain the application and onboarding process, discuss your suitability and answer your questions.
Testimonial of our first Intern:
“The time I spent with Relate has proved to be an incredibly valuable and rewarding experience. When I first started couples counselling, I did not know what I did not know! Steven has a passion for couples therapy, continues to intensively study the latest relationship counselling modalities and has a great ability to teach and freely pass on his knowledge.
I feel that my time in Relate has granted me an unparalleled platform for counselling couples. I gained experience working with a variety of couples from different socio-economic backgrounds with various issues. The experience has led to incredible professional growth, learning and development. Today, I feel more confident as a counsellor, having attained a greater understanding of relationship dynamics.”